Saturday, August 9, 2014

January 2009 - April 2011

**This may be a short post to cover two years of treatment, but I had other things going on and teeth blogging took a back seat. If there seems to be massive gaps in the explanations, please message and I'll try to fill you in.  

Around late 2008/early 2009
My wisdom teeth were not doing their job. They resisted Invisalign. I needed some dental treatment and snapped the x-rays from my dentist. What I saw horrified me. The erupted tooth was moving (somewhat), but the roots were firm.


Because the Invisalign revisions were essentially free, we decided to go for two more revisions. So that totaled my Invisalign treatment at 100 aligners for the upper set. 100 aligners. I'll let you sit there with that for a moment. Here was my bite after all of that, and I was somewhat happy with it. Now more goofy teeth! But bear in mind the back teeth roots are screwed at this point


May 2009
By May we ditched Invisalign. I needed these molar roots to move, and I needed something to happen. I moved over to metal on the back teeth only with various stages of elastics and the most HIDEOUS metal bar in the roof of my mouth. I think I went home and cried. OK, in the grand scheme of things it was just teeth, but really? I now have to have this in my mouth?? I made a lovely indentation in my tongue, too. It looks quite innocent in the picture, but it was pure hell before I got used to it.


The lower metal bar just wrapped around the inside edge of my lower teeth. My ortho also cut down my last set of aligners to use as retainers for the front teeth so I had those to clean, plus flossing and messing around with metal at the back. I wore this set up for almost two years which takes us to April 2011.

No comments: